Friday, December 31, 2010

The Obligatory 2010-In-Review Post

Yeah, I know. Succumbing to the peer pressure. But at least I don't do New Years Resolutions. ;)

Biggest and best event of 2010: the birth of our sweetums. Here she is now:
She is our peace child, our tranquil night rain. We all love her to pieces and can't imagine not having her in our family. One of the things that I am especially grateful for from her birth story is that confidence and knowledge I have gained about my body and birth. Yay for home births! Heather, again, a million whole-hearted thank yous!

Other important happenings, to us at least:

* Carlos' new job. We are very grateful for that, even though he is working more hours. Even with that, either he or I am almost always able to be with the kidlets. I am also deeply thankful for being able to wear the baby to class.

* Our Puerto Rico trip and Disneyworld trip. We traveled a lot before kids, and are so thankful that we have been able to continue traveling now that we have four little ones. I hope that is always a part of our lives.

* A slow but certain shift towards unschooling. We are not there yet. Traditional academic stuff is so ingrained that it is really difficult to let go. I don't know that we will ever fully unschool, but I am leaning more in that direction.

* My grandma's transition to heaven. I haven't blogged about it, but her life and death have impacted this year in many ways. I am so grateful for the beautiful inheritance I have--nothing material, but spiritual and emotional riches.

* Seeing my children grow. It is amazing the difference that one year makes. I am so happy with the little people that they are now, and excited to see the people that they are becoming. We have made so many happy, delightful memories this year together. I will never regret all our fun times together, even if they mean the house is messy or other things don't get done. Gotta remember that for this next year!

* Blog stuff and the Facebook page. My purpose in blogging has always been primarily self-centered: a way to remind myself of the things I am learning, to put it all into words. My posts are a mix of all my thoughts--spiritual (after all, all of life is spiritual), hippy-parenting-stuff, and whatever else passes through my head. Although I have had it for awhile, the last few months I have been stirred to share more. It sure isn't that I consider myself the perfect parent! It is more about encouragement and establishing my community of friends doing life together. It builds me up more than I can say to hear from all of you who peek into our life and share glimpses of yours. <3

* Trust. Connection. My most important lessons, repeated over and over in a variety of ways this year. Trust God, trust myself, trust my children. Connection, relationship matters more than anything else. Strengthen connections with my husband and my children, and love passionately without reserve.

The truth is, despite some painful times, 2010 has been glorious. I can't wait to see what 2011 has in store, and I am glad that you all are joining me on the ride!

No comments: