Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The most amazing scones ever!

Normally, I like scones, but would never rave about them. Sadly, my previous encounters were generally with the heavy coffeehouse variety that were OK slathered in whipped cream, but then again, I might eat cardboard if the toppings were good enough. Joelito wanted to try out a new recipe this morning so we mixed these up, and oh, my! They are flaky, tender, surprisingly light, and scrumptious without even a speck of whipped cream. I adapted the recipe from the cookbook, and the original version was submitted by TunaQueen. I'm going to include our version of it:

2 C flour
2-3 Tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 C buttermilk
2 Tbsp apple sauce
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 C butter
1/2 pkg mini chocolate chips
2/3 C dried mixed berries

Preheat oven to 375. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix wet ingredients (I just added the rest to the cup I measured the milk in). Crumble the butter into the dry ingredients (Joel prefers to grate it in with a large grater). Pour wet ingredients into the bowl and stir until JUST combined. Turn onto a floured surface and knead 10 times. Split dough in two and pat into circles. Cut each circle into 8 wedges. Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 18 minutes until just turning golden. Remove and cool on rack.

They were fabulous!


Blessed Mama said...

Mmmm...sounds yummy. Something about a breastfeeding cookbook makes me laugh, like breastmilk should be one of the ingredients. I know, I'm sick.

dulce de leche said...

Hee hee. Actually, there is a small section that contains breastmilk recipes (things like baby's frist smoothie, with bananas and mami milk). Have you ever tasted human milk? It is super-sweet, like the milk from a bowl of sweetened cereal.