Tuesday, February 1, 2011

January Top Ten

OK, I totally stole this from peaceful parenting, but in case you missed any of them here are the most-viewed posts for the month of January: 

1. What is it like to breastfeed an older child?  If you have only been around infants who nurse, you may wonder what it would be like to nurse a toddler or even a preschooler.  If there are any questions you have that weren't covered, add them in the comments.  :)

2.  Backtalk  I have always been a back-talker, and it seems that some of my children may have inherited this trait.  I understand the frustration, but I also have learned why backtalk is actually a good thing!

3.  A Good Old-fashioned Stoning  Despite the cultural teachings that have caused some to believe that the Bible promotes spanking, it doesn't, any more than it promotes stoning children.  The rituals that we have established for "correct" spanking really only serve to salve the parent's conscience.

4.  Weekend Romance  I am addicted to this story, to the point of compulsively checking for new posts each time my baby wakes to nurse in the middle of the night!  Sarah has been incredibly merciful, and is now up to post 29 on The Restoration of All Things. 

5.  Her body, her choice  I conquered the urge to control my daughter's clothing choices back when she was a toddler.  After all, in our society a three year old in mismatched clothes or a tutu or Spiderman costume isn't a big deal.  Hair brushing, though?  That could make me look neglectful.  Thanks to your wonderful suggestions, last night we were able to comb out all the tangles (and they were legion) without a single tear.  Today, I brushed her hair without a single protest.  :)  We will be forever grateful to you all!

6.  Our Toolbox  For those who wonder how on earth you can discipline your children if you don't punish. 

7.  Authority, Submission, Control and Discipline  As a follower of Christ, I believe that authority looks different from dominance.  My authority over my children is not about control, but about using my power and experience to equip them to fulfill their destiny.

8.  What My Children Taught Me  Like most moms I know, I have struggled with self-image.  My children are helping me to view myself through a more positive light, and I am thankful.  If you missed any of the other Carnival posts, they are all linked--be sure and check them out!

9.  My Personal Guidelines on Public Breastfeeding  How do you respond to moms who are nursing in public?  Smile.  If you want to offer an encouraging word, do.  That is it.

10.  Letter on Christians and Spanking  This is the letter we wrote to our pastor explaining why we believe that God has called us to parent gently, without spanking.

If, like us, you have been snowed in thanks to the Great Blizzard of 2011, stay warm and safe, and feel free to poke around any other old posts.  :)

No comments: