Friday, August 20, 2010

Mothers' Intuition

A few weeks ago I picked up a book on Intuitive Parenting. I haven't read the whole thing, but I have mixed feelings about it. It claims that we are connected to each other and can communicate through those connections non-verbally.

Aside from the book, I've learned over the years that my children and I are linked in ways that might surprise some people. I wake up a few seconds before my babies wake up in the night. I can often tell if they are having a nightmare or are sick or upset before they wake up, because "something" alerted me. Even though we don't schedule at all, if my baby begins to cry, my milk comes down, even though we are miles apart. I can't tell you the number of times I've been on my way home and feel my shirt get wet a minute before Carlos would call and tell me that the baby was fussing. Our bodies are that in synch with each other. Less conclusively, there have been several occasions where I would look at them in an uncomfortable position or irritating item of clothing and feel the sensation in my own body.

I've posted before about Ariana's sensitivity to others (Help! My daughter is a Betazoid!). Reading this book, a lot of things clicked about her reactions to certain situations and people.

I've always believed in the supernatural. I know without doubt that God speaks to us. In some situations, the idea of us speaking to each other doesn't seem too far fetched to me. In many cultures, the idea of a special connection between loved ones that allows them to communicate on an unseen level is commonplace. Whether you call it psychic communication, telepathy or whatever, there is actually growing evidence that energy fields in our body can communicate with other bodies. It is pretty cool.

Because I believe that evil exists, too, I want to be careful and not open myself up to every spirit that is out there. Yet, as a Christian, I believe that the Holy Spirit is inside of us and can give us knowledge that bypasses normal channels, so to speak.

It is an interesting topic.

No comments: