Thursday, December 11, 2008

Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy

It has been a crazy couple of days. My mom was in the hospital with heart problems, but is doing well and was released yesterday. Definitely a wake-up call for all of us, though. Tonight we made some extra-special memories, for which I am grateful.

Carlos' parents got tickets for the Nutcracker, and we had a ladies night out. First, my mom, Carlos' mom, Ariana and Elena and I all met at Starbuzz for white chocolate steamers and coffee. On the way, we noticed all the lovely Christmas lights.

Ariana was entranced by the ballet, and so was Elena. I was actually a bit nervous about taking Elena, particularly since she had been a bit cranky earlier today, but she didn't make a peep through the entire ballet. She watched intently during the first half and tapped her hand in time to the music. During the intermission she got sleepy and dosed throughout the second half while sipping leche.

Ariana was fascinated by the orchestra, but once the dancing began she couldn't tear her eyes away. Almost without realizing it she stood and began to mimic the dancers a couple of times. She enjoyed the performance as much as anyone I have ever seen. It was such a perfect, fairy-tale night. I am sure that as she sleeps, visions of sugar plums will dance in her head.

2 comments:

Blessed Mama said...

Sounds magical! Glad your mom is doing better.

Darla said...

Isn't that fun, experiencing things we enjoy through our daughters' eyes? I remember taking Sis to her first musical at the Fox Theater... it was Annie, and she was ENTHRALLED! She even wrote Annie a letter later, and I got an autographed headshot of "Annie" for her for Christmas through a friend of "Annie." I love these kinds of memories!!! Glad you guys had a great time!