Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Top 10 Parenting Scriptures

Welcome to the March Carnival of Natural Parenting: Natural Parenting Top 10 Lists
This post was written for inclusion in the monthly Carnival of Natural Parenting hosted by Code Name: Mama and Hobo Mama. This month our participants have shared Top 10 lists on a wide variety of aspects of attachment parenting and natural living. Please read to the end to find a list of links to the other carnival participants.
***

Image credit: abcdz2000 on Flickr


One of my deepest desires is to integrate my faith into every aspect of my life.  To be authentic in my spirituality.  Being a mom has caused me to re-examine many beliefs I had taken for granted and to be much more purposeful about how I live out my faith with my children.  These are 10 Bible passages that always inspire me and help me to breathe in grace:

1.   “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’"  ~  Matthew 25:40  (Note: In Spanish, it says "the smallest" of these.  What an incredibly powerful thought--how I treat my little ones is a reflection of how I would treat my God.)

2.  "There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment." ~ I John 4:18  (Letting go of fear, letting go of punishment, embracing love).

3.   "Within minutes they were bickering over who of them would end up the greatest. But Jesus intervened: "Kings like to throw their weight around and people in authority like to give themselves fancy titles. It's not going to be that way with you. Let the senior among you become like the junior; let the leader act the part of the servant."  ~ Luke 22:24-26 (The Message)  (My authority as a parent is not a justification for controlling my children; it is the power to care for them.)

4.  "Let the beloved of the LORD rest secure in him, for he shields him all day long, and the one the LORD loves rests between his shoulders." ~ Deuteronomy 33:12  (Biblical babywearing! I love it!)

5.  "Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.  And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.   Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.  ... Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged. " ~ Colossians 3:12-15, 21  (Compassion, forgiveness, peace, gratitude.  Nothing that will provoke them or cause bitterness or discouragement.)

6.  "But we proved to be gentle among you, as a nursing mother tenderly cares for her own children." ~ I Thessalonians 2:7 (Gentleness and breastfeeding.  <3 <3 <3)

7.  "For you will nurse and be satisfied at her comforting breasts; you will drink deeply and delight in her overflowing abundance.”  For this is what the LORD says: “I will extend peace to her like a river, and the wealth of nations like a flooding stream; you will nurse and be carried on her arm and dandled on her knees. As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you." ~ Isaiah 66:11-13  (Beautiful imagery of breastfeeding, responsiveness and comfort!)

8. "Brothers and sisters, if a person is caught doing something wrong, you who are spiritual should restore someone like this with a spirit of gentleness. Watch out for yourselves so you won’t be tempted too." ~ Galatians 6:1 CEB  (The goal is restoring relationship, and that requires gentleness and humility.)

 9.  "Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.  Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God." ~ II Corinthians 1:2-4  (Whether it is my baby crying in the night, or my toddler having a meltdown, or my older child distressed over a "little thing", my response should be to validate and comfort. )

10.  "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."  Matthew 7:12  (Would I want it done to me?  No?  Then I shouldn't do it to my children.  What do I want?  Respect?  Gratitude?  Thoughtfulness?  Am I demonstrating those qualities in the way I act toward them?)

There are so many other pictures of gentle parenting--the depiction of the peace of a weaned child (not baby!) in Psalm 131:2, the promise to embrace and gently lead nursing moms in Isaiah 40:11, and the list could go on and on.  Whether it is breastfeeding, babywearing, comforting my children, or gentle discipline, I find that the Bible has beautiful passages to strengthen and encourage me on my journey.



***

Carnival of Natural Parenting -- Hobo Mama and Code Name: MamaVisit Hobo Mama and Code Name: Mama to find out how you can participate in the next Carnival of Natural Parenting!

Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:

(This list will be live and updated by afternoon March 8 with all the carnival links.)

23 comments:

Luschka @ Diary of a First Child said...

When I fell pregnant we knew we'd have financial strain with me not working. I printed out 'He keeps an eye on the sparrow' verse (Mat 6:26) and stuck it on my cupboard so that I could see it every night from my bed, and read it first thing when I woke every morning.

On the Friday I went off on maternity leave, I was made redundant. The following Monday my husband was made redundant. Yet we both felt calm. We were okay, and I firmly believe it's because this verse, the knowledge of God's supreme love for us had permeated my soul by dwelling on it for months.

I think I must do the same with your post and your verses - allow Scriptural references for esp Gentle Discipline to permeate my being and inform my actions.

Thanks for a great post.

Betsy B. Honest said...

Dude! That's beautiful.

Seems so many people comb the bible for "proof" that God wants them to hate gays or whoever.

I love your list.

It's lovely.

dulce de leche said...

Luschka, what a beautfiul and inspiring story! Thank you so much for sharing it!

Thanks, Betsy! I believe that Jesus' heart breaks over the cruel and hateful things that people do in His name.

Hippie Housewife said...

Beautiful list!

Anonymous said...

That was amazing. I literally have goosebumps and tears in my eyes! Thank you for compiling a great list of Scripture that relates to parenting. I'm definitely bookmarking this for future visits.

When I get tired or frustrated in my role as a wife and a mom, I often remember how God would have me play my role and nurture my family as He loves and nurtures me. Now I have a list of specific Scriptures to turn to! Thanks!

Chante@My Natural Motherhood Journey said...

Now THAT is a biblical worldview! GO ON AHEAD, MAMA! I LOVE your testimony!

NUmber 4 was my favorite. It's one of those, "I didn't know THAT was in the Bible?!!?" verses. LOL! Yes, God thought of THAT too! =)

Extended breastfeeding is definitely in the Bible! I LOVE your post! Thanks for showing us WHO thought of attachment parenting first - none other than the great I AM!

Samantha said...

LOVE this!!! Thank you for sharing!!

Kristen @ My Semi-Crunchy Life said...

Good list of how you tie your parenting philosophies into your religious beliefs.

CatholicMommy said...

Amen! I might print some of these and stick them up in the kitchen and other places to keep my heart in the right place. Thank you!

Dionna @ Code Name: Mama said...

I think it's wonderful that you're finding ways to integrate faith with parenting. I hope this inspires others!
(p.s. I really like Betsy's comment - I wish more people would look to the Bible for reasons to love, not reasons to hate!)

Chantilly PatiƱo said...

Excellent picks! Thanks for sharing this Dulce! Beautiful scriptures! <3

Kelly said...

What a beautiful, inspiring list - thank you so much! I will be printing this off for sure. :)

Joni Rae said...

I think this is fantastic, I truly believe children should be brought up in a faith- I think it should be a part of every day life. I think it teaches them to find joy and wonder in the world around them.

Lovely lovely!

<3

Lauren Wayne said...

I love this! How peaceful and reassuring to read through these Scriptures with you.

#1. That "smallest of these" translation is so cool! I love the imagery.

#4. I had never heard a biblical babywearing verse — fun! :)

#5. I used to love to quote that last part to my dad just as a joke to remind him to do whatever I wanted him to… Ah, Bible humor!

I love all the breastfeeding imagery! It's so beautiful to imagine a time where breastfeeding was so much the norm, and known to be so comforting and right.

@Luschka: What a story! I'm glad you had faith to see you through.

Amy said...

Great list! I've been trying to come up with a good meditation for Lent, and, as a new mama, this might be just the ticket. Thanks for sharing!

Jazzy Mama said...

Growing up in an Evangelical Christian Church completely turned me off of raising my children in the Christian faith.

But finding women of faith such as yourself might just bring me around some day.

This is a wonderful list.

dulce de leche said...

Thank you all so, so much! Your comments have brought a huge smile to my day!

Jazzy Mama, I am so sorry for the hurtful things you experienced in church. :( Grace and peace to you! <3

The ArtsyMama said...

These are beautiful. And I love your interpretations on the scriptures.

Amy Phoenix said...

Thank you, thank you! I am glad Linda Hermana suggested I connect with you. It's neat to see you're already part of the NP network. :)

dulce de leche said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dulce de leche said...

Thank you so very much! <3

Amy, I started following you on Facebook a few days ago, and really am enjoying your posts. I am so excited to find out that you and Hermana Linda are friends. She is awesome, isn't she? <3

Jessie said...

I'm late to the party, but I'd love to add one: Mark 6:31-34

"The apostles then rendezvoused with Jesus and reported on all that they had done and taught. Jesus said, "Come off by yourselves; let's take a break and get a little rest." For there was constant coming and going. They didn't even have time to eat.

So they got in the boat and went off to a remote place by themselves. Someone saw them going and the word got around. From the surrounding towns people went out on foot, running, and got there ahead of them. When Jesus arrived, he saw this huge crowd. At the sight of them, his heart broke -— like sheep with no shepherd they were. He went right to work teaching them. "

As a rather extreme introvert, I need to hear this over and over again! Sometimes I just want to run away and hide from my daughter, but she needs me, she needs my guidance. May I follow Jesus' example!

dulce de leche said...

Jessie, thank you so, so much for sharing that! I tend to be an introverted mama, too, and the passage you shared is a wonderful reminder. <3