Saturday, May 1, 2010

Gentle Discipline Links

Gentle Parent - art by Erika Hastings at http://mudspice.wordpress.com/


If you are my friend on Facebook, you are probably aware that we've been highlighting gentle discipline and celebrated National Spank Out day yesterday. I shared some of my favorite links there, and would like to repost them here, as well.

I am not a perfect parent. My kids are not perfect. But having experienced the joy and connection that result from gentle discipline has made me want to share it with others. Even if you consider spanking a valuable tool right now, I would encourage you to try some of these other tools and to consider the reasons that we have chosen not to parent punitively. You may find that some things that will work for your family, too!


One of my favorite authors, Pam Leo, has several articles here on a variety of topics. There is practical advice and thought-provoking ideas here: connectionparenting.com

Gentle discipline isn't about sighing and wringing your hands when your children need guidance--it is active and proactive. Joanne has incredibly valuable tips for effectively helping your children: GOYB parenting.com

My favorite single post regarding Christians and spanking is here, but don't miss out on all the other great posts she has on discipline: Is Spanking Biblical?

A treasure trove of links on Grace-based discipline, development, and more, this was the site that helped lead me to GBD: Arms of Love

Many people have recommended Tedd Tripp's book, Shepherding a Child's Heart to us. While there are some good things in it, there are many poisonous things, too. This review explains some of them: SACH Review

This is the second in a series of posts explaining Laurie's journey into Grace-based discipline. Read the others, too! Choosing GBD

We are surrounded by parents who follow Gary Ezzo's materials--Babywise, Preparation for Parenting, Growing Kids God's Way, etc. I think many are drawn to the assurance he gives that if they do things his way, their kids will be perfect. The truth behind his foundation and credentials, and the effects his methods have, is eye-opening: Ezzo Info

Last but not least, many, many thanks to the Baby Dust Diaries for focusing on this important issue and for hosting the Carnival. There are many links here, and each of them encouraged me and added to my understanding and application of gentle discipline: Baby Dust Diaries

1 comment:

Paige @ Baby Dust Diaries said...

What a wonderful collection of resources! Thanks for promoting the Carnival of Gentle Discipline! :) It was so rewarding for me to feel like we were spreading the word! And, I found some great new bloggers to follow like you! :)