Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Apocalypse

To me, one of the most interesting by-products of all the general election craziness has been the doomsday prophecies. I have been stunned at the number of people I know who sincerely believe that life is over if Obama wins. I understand being upset if someone with whom you disagree wins. All the stuff implying that he is the Antichrist or that we will suddenly become a nation of communist-Muslim-terrorists (Inconceivable! I do not think that word means what you think it means, with a cheer for The Princess Bride. Please excuse the digression. My mind jumps track often.) sounds a bit hysterical, honestly.

I don't know when Jesus will come back. I don't know if it will be in my lifetime or hundreds or even thousands of years from now. I figure that we are all in for some surprises. I certainly don't claim to know it all, or even most of it. But, since this is my blog, I'll share my general beliefs. I don't take this personally, so feel free to be candid about any disagreements you have. My position could probably be characterized as a partial-preterist and optimistic amillenialist.

As a partial-preterist, I think that most of the events described in the Revelation have already taken place. I believe that much of it was fulfilled a couple of millenia ago. So I'm not anxiously awaiting the Great Tribulation or Antichrist, although I believe that there have been many times and places of tribulation and many spirits that are anti-Christ.

As an optimistic amillenialist, I see the Church as a glorious Bride. I remember being puzzled at times as a child when I was around people who bemoaned how terrible the world is. Their eschatology seemed to consist of "Just a few more weary days and then I'll fly away...". I've heard a lot of despair and fear lately. Is the Church truly that defeated? Must she cower under the covers and beg to be rescued because she is helpless and unable to cope in this world? What a pitiful outlook!

A life-verse for our family has been Jer. 31:17, "There is hope for your future, declares the Lord". (And no, I didn't bring it up just because my political candidate has hope as a theme. Although I agree whole-heartedly that as Christians we have been choosing hope over fear for the last two thousand years.) :) I believe that God wants us to change the world, not be defeated by it. I have hope that as we live out the truths we have been taught that God's kingdom will come, His will be done on Earth as it is in heaven.

No comments: