Monday, April 5, 2010

It's a Girl!

We didn't get our ultrasound until Good Friday, because it is difficult to get a diagnostic ultrasound without using a traditional OB. However, my doctor is a big fan of homebirth (had 11 nieces and nephews born at home! :)) and was happy to order one for me.

Carlos was off, so we all got to go together. Baby wasn't cooperating too much positionally at first, so it took a little longer than I had anticipated. Having read about some of the possible dangers of ultrasound, I was thinking of actually telling her not to worry about gender and just do the essentials. She got everything she needed (and was surprised as Ariana read the captions for the cerebellum and other shots). Then Baby flipped around and she declared that we are having a little girl.

In every pregnancy so far, other people have seemed to be much more emotionally invested in the gender of the baby than Carlos or I. We accept the baby for whoever he or she is from the beginning and avoid focusing too much on whether it is a boy or girl until we know. (Of course, we have one of each, which makes that easier). The funny thing is, this time, more than any other, we all kind of had the impression that it was going to be a boy. It is the first time that we have been surprised.

Don't get me wrong--we are delighted with another girl, too. But it did remind me that one of the first things that I feel like God spoke to me about this baby is that there would be some surprises. So now, is the surprise that we were wrong, or that the ultrasound was wrong (or incorrectly interpreted, or whatever)?

I don't know, but we will be happy regardless of the outcome. We had already decided on Rafael for a boy (middle name uncertain, but we were leaning toward Alejandro). For a girl, Carlos loves the name Anastacia, I like Graciela, and we both really like Eliana (although with Ariana and Elena already, Eliana may be a bit much of a muchness). Suggestions are always welcome!

1 comment:

granny2five said...

You probably don't remember, but I wanted to name my next baby girl Denada Joy. Kenny W. told me that denada meant "for nothing." Thought "joy for nothing" might not be an appropriate name for my precious baby girl - so we dropped it! As it turned out, Dondra was the last little girl anyway.